Rachel Ann Seghesio's Traditional Seghesio Ravioli Filling
Supper was never complete without handmade pasta on the table. With almost an infinite number of possibilities between pasta types and sauces, Rachel Ann had numerous recipes for handmade pasta. This filling recipe is perfect to stuff the ravioli recipe.
(Yields about 100 raviolis)
2 ½ lbs Swiss chard
½ cup onion, diced
½ cup prosciutto, chopped
1 stick butter
2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
2 egg yolks
1 ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
¼ t nutmeg
1. De-stalk and wash the chard.
2. With just the water that clings to the chard, place it into a pot. Add large pinches of salt. Cover the pot; turn heat to medium and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
3. Drain and as soon as it is cool, squeeze it gently and chop it very fine.
4. Sauté the onion in the butter until onion softens.
5. Add the prosciutto and cook stirring until onion is thoroughly cooked.
6. Add the chopped chard. Cook until all the butter has been absorbed, about 3 minutes.
7. Turn out all the contents of the pan into a bowl. Add the ricotta, egg yolks, cheese and nutmeg. Mix with large fork until all ingredients are evenly combined.
8. Taste and correct for salt. Set aside. Filling may be made a day ahead and refrigerate.